Skip to main content

Get Help With Bullying, Harassment or Discrimination

Hayward Unified School District is committed to providing a safe school environment

Our commitment is to provide a safe learning environment that protects students from physical and emotional harm. Click the links to see the full language of HUSD's Board Policy and Administrative Regulation for Bullying and other policies that protect students. One part of the Bullying policy states: 

“No individual or group shall, through physical, written, verbal, visual, or other means, harass, sexually harass, threaten, intimidate, cyberbully, cause bodily injury to, or commit hate violence against any student or school personnel, or retaliate against them for filing a complaint or participating in the complaint resolution process.”


To prevent bullying and harassment, staff members have a responsibility to:

  • Collaborate and build positive relationships and school environments

  • Intervene right away if they witness acts of bullying or harassment to stop the harassment

  • Report acts of bullying or harassment to the principal if they witness it

  • Investigate reports of bullying and communicate with the student and parent/family about an effective resolution (Principal or Administrator responsibility)

If you or someone you know is experiencing bullying, harassment or discrimination, here are some different ways to get help:

  • Notify a teacher or school leader (for example, a principal, campus safety officer, counselor, etc.) right away; Make sure there is a plan to inform the principal.

  • Write down the details about what happened, where and when the incident happened, who was involved, and the names of any witnesses. Do this for every incident. Keep copies of any related documents or other information. If you gave a verbal report, follow up with a written report (for example, scan your notes or take a picture with your phone and email it to the principal). 

  • Complete a Bullying Complaint Form. You can choose the online form or printed paper form:

  • Ask the school to translate or interpret information into a language you understand if needed. If you need help completing the form, you can ask school staff for assistance. If you have communication needs because of a disability, you can ask for accommodations. 

  • Consider filing a Uniform Complaint if you are not satisfied with the resolution after following the suggestions listed above or if you have any complaints about the process. Please see the Uniform Complaints and Title IX page for more information.

  • Consider seeking mental health services if needed. Sometimes counseling or mental health support can be helpful for a student who has been harassed or bullied. 


If you or someone you know is experiencing a medical emergency, poses an immediate threat to themselves or others, or is being hurt by someone, call 911 for immediate help.


If you are struggling to cope with your situation (even if you are not thinking about suicide), you can also call or text these support numbers for help.